After Arya and Matt picked up the lift on tuesday, the team has been working hard to set it up. Most of Wednesday was spent getting all the necessary parts for the lift together and assembling it. Though the lift has a few bugs to be worked out, it is operational and can lift the Porsche.
I spent today mostly focused on finishing the installation of the lift. In order to ensure that the lift does not buckle under load, Radu and I braced the overhead crossbar with two pieces of U-shaped steel. After the overhead beam was reinstalled, we ran the cables and hydraulic line across it and attached them to their respective insertion points. Then, the two of us installed the safety cable (which stops the lift if the car gets too high), and we tested the lift. In testing, we noticed that the latches on the lift arms were not engaging the safety catches at the same time, so I tightened one of the overhead cables in order to make the latches engage simultaneously. The installation was complete by the day's end, we even managed to raise the Porsche 914 BEV. Even so, we encountered two problems. First, the hydraulic fluid tends to bubble and foam, which is troublesome because it indicates the presence of air in the system. Second, the fluid tank is precariously attached to the pump by nothing more than a horizontal hose clamp, which is troublesome because the tank could fall and spill if knocked a little too hard. We are looking for an additive to solve the first problem, and I fixed the second by putting a support bracket underneath the fluid tank.
Mike has been working on getting sponsor decals and trying to find a place for the Porsche. He is also working with Paul on a battery pack design for a motorcycle. On Wednesday he continued cell testing and helped out with the lift.
On Wednesday, Radu had a meeting with MIT lawyers. He was also part of a meeting during lunch about battery management systems and setting up for a motorcycle pack that will be configured to be similar to the automotive pack
The Porsche on the lift