We arrived at a motor decision, we'll be using the LMC-170 motor. It is a bit smaller than the motor used in the eSuperbike but it is still an axial flux PM DC motor, it can give us a lot of power (...a lot). We ran some simulations to determine the gear ratio we should use.
|Speed Time curve for Trike at 0% grade|
|Speed-Time for 10% grade|
|screenshot of simulink model (made by Abraham, Roberto and Nigel)|
From the data shown and practical considerations of the size of the sprockets we arrived at a gear ratio of 8. Erich and Alex are currently busy designing/buying the sprockets using the #35 chain specs. Jacob and Will were busy all day yesterday CADdding out the mounting of the motor. Here is a picture of the current design.
|notice the eccentric motor mount that allows for tensioning the chain|
The brake team had a very productive day, we decided to try out some work-gear driven motors (like windshield wiper and car window motors) to actuate the brake cables. These motors have huge gear reductions which makes them very hard to back drive which is great for us. The simplicity of the motor will allow us to drive it open-loop to open and close the brake calipers.
|c-clamp holding the motor for testing|
|jack and j-rod testing out the motor driven brakes|
We powered the motors from a power supply and the mechanism worked well. The addition of these brakes will give us lots of stopping power and keep us safe in the road.
The EE team also had a big day yesterday but I'll let them give you guys an update in a separate blog post.